Hammerson’s 2017 Sustainability Report
2017 was a busy but exciting year for Hammerson as a whole and particularly for the Sustainability Team. It’s our first Sustainability Report since launching our net positive targets, and includes an update on our early progress for which we have made excellent progress in all four of our focus areas. It is still energy efficiencies that are making the big difference in our portfolio.
- Operational energy demand has reduced across our managed retail assets by 8% year on year, hitting our 2018 energy reduction targets 12 months early.
- This has driven a further 12% reduction in carbon emissions, bringing the reduction against the 2015 baseline to an impressive 26% across our managed retail assets.
- The delivery of phase 2 of Elliott's Field Retail Park, Rugby as the world's first BREEAM Outstanding, carbon neutral retail park is a major achievement for the teams involved. More information on this development is available here.
- Exceptional socio-economic outcomes were also delivered for 2017. Hammerson supported 476 organisations, directly investing over £2.2 million in the local community. The launch of True Value of Retail provides clear evidence of the positive local community outcomes that can flow from retail assets. Our True Value of Retail report is available here.
- 100% of Hammerson employees who had been employed for 12 months or more had received sustainability training by end of January 2018, keeping teams across the business up-to-date with our Positive Places vision and what they can do to support it.