Hammerson recognises the importance of taking a proactive, strategic approach to environmental management and strives to be at the forefront of this area of management within the property industry.
Hammerson is one of Europe's leading property investment and development companies whose principal activities include the acquisition, development and management of retail properties. Hammerson recognises the importance of taking a proactive, strategic approach to environmental management and strives to be at the forefront of this area of management within the property industry.
Our business activities have substantial impacts on the natural and built environment at all stages of the property cycle. We have therefore set out two overarching commitments to our stakeholders. These are:
- To use best practice in the design and planning of our developments to ensure they respect their locations and enhance the built environment.
- To design and build properties using sustainable materials and practices and manage these properties efficiently, leading to lower consumption of natural resources and to reductions in waste and emissions generated during our properties’ lifecycles.
Managing our Impacts
We comply with all relevant legislation and strive to exceed legal requirements where possible. By conducting regular and independent reviews of our progress, as well as through engagement with stakeholders, we aim to achieve continual improvement.
This pursuit of excellence is facilitated by an Environmental Management System, which enables the targeting and public reporting of our environmental performance. Rigorous annual target setting and monitoring at each of our properties is focused on the following key objectives:
- to reduce our carbon footprint
- to maximise the efficiency of our use of natural resources
- to reduce our waste and increase recycling
- to minimise the risk of pollution and contamination
- to place emphasis on good design to enhance the built environment
Taking a Collaborative Approach
All employees, advisers and contractors have a part to play if Hammerson is to meet its environmental policy commitments and objectives. In order to achieve this, we provide employees, advisers and contractors with information on environmental procedures, as well as appropriate training.
Hammerson also recognises its influence on the environmental performance of its supply chain, setting out a complementary Responsible Procurement policy.
Responsibility for overall governance and implementation of this policy lies with Hammerson’s CR group, which is also tasked with periodically reviewing the policy to ensure applicability and adherence to best practice. Responsibility for overseeing this policy and ensuring it is upheld lies with the Chief Executive and Chairman of Hammerson’s CR Group, David Atkins.
A signed copy of this Environmental Policy is available to download from the menu on right hand side of this page.